Gift Aid it!

Have you received a Gift aid repair letter? Please click here.


We are currently reviewing all of our gift aid declarations we hold, dated before 6 April 2016, and you may receive a repair letter from our Donations Team.

Simply read the letter and contact us if you have any queries, but they do not require you to respond unless you want to.

They are intended to confirm and update your gift aid status with us which means we can continue to claim gift aid from HMRC on your personal donations if we are able.

You can cancel your gift aid declaration any time by either e mailing us at by writing to us, or telephoning the Fundraising department on 01785 270808.

You should also notify us of any name or address changes or if you stop paying sufficient tax.

25% more care for FREE

Did you know you can help Katharine House Hospice to raise even more vital funds for our patients without it costing you a single penny?!

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows us to claim 25% more on your donations of goods or money at no extra cost to you.

With Gift Aid we can make an extra 25p on every £1 of your donation by claiming against the basic rate tax that you have already paid, or will be paying, to HMRC. It’s one of the easiest ways to give to charity. Gift Aid could even make you better off! If you pay the higher rate of income tax, currently 40%, then you can claim tax relief for yourself.

Sign up today – it’s so easy!

There are a number of different ways you can set up Gift Aid.

  • When donating money: simply tick the Gift Aid box on the donation form or when completing our online form.
  • Call us on 01785 270808 and make a verbal declaration. We will send you confirmation of your declaration in the post and you can cancel if you choose to within 30 days.
  • By completing the Gift Aid Declaration form and returning it to us.
  • When donating goods to our shops: please ask a member of staff for a Gift Aid form to complete (if you haven’t already been asked on donation).

Am I eligible?

To be eligible to sign up to Gift Aid you must be a current UK taxpayer. This has to be either Income tax or Capital Gains tax and you need to have paid enough tax to cover the amount that you are donating in that tax year to both us and other charities that you are Gift Aiding with.

If you are a higher taxpayer you can claim additional tax relief by claiming the difference between the basic rate tax that we will claim and the amount of tax that you have paid. For further details on how to do this, please contact your tax office.

ON GOODS – If you donate goods to us, you won’t know the amount of money that they will raise until they have been sold, and so we write to you before claiming Gift Aid to advise you of this. We will confirm the amount raised, and give you the opportunity to tell us if you haven’t paid enough tax to cover. There are some further terms and conditions detailed on the declaration form in relation to donating goods under Gift Aid, so please be sure to read it through when signing up.

What happens if my circumstances change?

PLEASE NOTE: if you have already declared you are a UK taxpayer, it is your responsibility to tell us if your circumstances change and you are no longer a UK tax payer and ALSO if you change your name or your address

Once you have become a Gift Aider with us it is important that you notify us if your circumstances change so that we don’t claim any tax back incorrectly.
You should also let us know if your details change or if you simply no longer wish to be a part of the scheme. You can do this by emailing us at and we will be happy to help. Alternatively, you can call us on 01785 270808.

For further information on Gift Aid you can visit the government website.

How does it work?

On Cash:
Gift Aid on donations of cash is straight forward. As soon as you have made your donation, if you are eligible to be part of the scheme and have confirmed this by ticking the relevant box, Katharine House is able to add Gift Aid at 25% and claim this back from HMRC.

On Goods:
Gift Aid on a donation of goods in our shops is slightly different. As the goods do not have any monetary value until they are sold, Katharine House must act as your agent in selling the goods on your behalf. At the end of each tax year we will write to you to tell you how much money we raised from these sales and check you are still able to Gift Aid the items

We will claim 25% of the value of your donation within that tax year in Gift Aid, minus a 3% commission charge to cover the costs of operating the scheme. When you agree to Katharine House acting as your agent to sell your goods, it is called an agency agreement and it’s all built in to the declaration form. When you sign up for Gift Aid in one of our stores, you will receive a pack which includes a Gift Aid card to use each time you donate more items.